The Ghosts Of Spiti Valley - Letters From A Nomad - travel blog

Welcome digital nomads, join me on the ultimate adventure that never ends. Each of our life is made up of our experiences and stories that define us. travel is not just about seeing the beauty of the place and an instagram post. Its a feeling, millions of stories of different people around the world, the experience and above all peace.



Well, I'm no supernatural believer nor do I believe in chance meetings. But they both happened to me and honestly, I don't know what to understand from the situation I was in. 

This is not my regular blog post and the actual Spiti valley full blog is going to come out this February ( spoiler alert )  and this was not my plan to publish this but the strangeness of the events forced me to reveal this and I finally got a stable internet connection all thanks to Gautak. 

I won't bore you more and will start by explaining why and how I was in this situation. I have been trekking through Lahul, pastures of kara, Zanskar valley, and this whole blog will be out in February as this is a long trek and won't be getting any time to properly write and upload. 

So on the morning of the second day of the trek to Spiti, we got up really early and somehow managed to do all of the everyday morning tasks, ate something and were off by 6 a.m. as planned. Me and my friend we were most determined people at that point, not realizing the just scale of the mountains around us.

We walked for 30 mins towards the mountains showed us last night as the fog started drifting in whatever factories its produced in the Himalaya. Just as I was following my friend he yelled at me to stop. We were unknowingly walking in the swamp area and we were going in the wrong direction. 

Eventually, we realized we were covered by the swamp in every direction. let's do a quick check on time. it was 30 + 15 + 5 = 55 mins since we left campsite. even if we knew our pat it would take us 2 to 3 hours to retrace it. so we decided to keep going towards the mountain our captain ( his name is Gatuk ) told us to walk towards not to lose the sense of direction. 

Once in a while, we could glimpse the mountains through the fog but there was nothing we could make from it, I was angry with myself for being too adventurous and going alone without our captain. " I remember seeing that peak last night ". We lost trust in each others judgement. we knew we had to calm down and just figure where we should go.

And then suddenly, " There, there look at that man over there", we shouted almost at the same time. He was barely 50m away and was walking up a mountain. " that has to be a trail ", we figured, and without thinking sped straight towards him. In less than ten minutes we saw a narrow trail winding up the slope. ' Wow', we exhaled, relieved of the tension and the confusion.

We were now at the top of the cliff and man was the view more than the worth of all the pain and the tension we both went through.

I and my friend took a short 5 minutes break and I looked around for that guy whom we saw but he was nowhere to be found. we squeezed our socks and dried out our shoes and we were ready to go when suddenly i heard the voice of Gautak and Veeru. I was never so relieved to see anybody else in my life and I was to see them. 

they said it was way past our lunch and we hadn't returned so they got worried and followed us. we got back to camp and it was just about to go dark. After eating our lunch cum dinner we were sitting up now, rewinding the day in our mind. ' And how come he was alone? you have to have a guide on this kind of trek!'. ' I hope he wouldn't have gotten into any trouble, I mean he looked so old'.

"What old, he was so young", my friend said. " he was an old guy with a white beard and he was wearing a hat that made him look even more aged", I said. " Nooo, he was a young man with a backpack. Tell me you are kidding" my friend was so loud his voice echoed in the whole valley.

" Apne bhoot Dekha, sir ",('you saw a ghost'), added Gautak.

So guys what did you think of this? do you really believe in what Gautak said to me?, that I and my friend really saw a ghost? apparently, there is a legend among the locals that whenever you are lost in these mountains a friendly ghost comes to help you. I mean I'm not a local to this place so anyone from Spiti reading this please do tell me what I and my friend saw. 

You can email me or share by leaving a quick comment below. Thanks for reading and do subscribe to get regular notification from my blog. 

4 comments:

  1. hey I loved it and I don't know what to say about your situation but all that happens happens for a good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you reply and yes whatever happens it happens for good and I'm glad and thankful to whoever it was that helped us.

      Delete
  2. India is the seventh largest country of world and second most populous country in the world.Every human want enjoyment for a time which makes him happy and blissful. Chandigarh The purpose of human is work and contribute it socially. In present life the shedule of human is got busy in different kinds of activities related to studies,analysis and production.

    ReplyDelete